Hilandar (Serbian Cyrillic on : Хиландар; Greek: Χιλανδαρίου) is an Eastern Orthodox monasteryMount Athos in Greece. It was founded in 1198 by the Serbian Saint Sava and his father, Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja (who later became a monk there, taking the monastic name of "Simeon") of Raska. Due to the fact that its founders are Serbs and the first monks were of the Serbian Orthodox Church it is also called "The Serbian monastery" and is nowadays the monastery where Serbian Orthodox monks traditionally reside. Today, Hilandar represents one of the greatest shrines for the Serbian people.
Two medieval Bulgarian royal charters, the Virgino Charter and the Oryahov Charter, have been found in Hilandar's library.
In the 1970s, the Greek government offered power grid installation to all of the monasteries on Mount Athos. The Holy Council of Mount Athos refused, and since then every monastery generates its own power, which is gained mostly from renewable energy sources. During the 1980s, electrification of the monastery of Hilandar took place, generating power mostly for lights and heating.
In 2004, an accident happened when one of the heaters was not turned off and the old, dry wood used to build that portion of monastery ignited. The fire significantly damaged Hilandar, and about 40-50% of the monastery burned to the ground. It is currently undergoing restoration.
Among the numerous relics and other holy objects treasured at the monastery is the Wonderworking Icon of the Theotokos "Of the Akathist", the feast day of which is celebrated on January 12. Since Mount Athos uses the traditional Julian Calendar, the day they celebrate as January 12 currently falls on January 25 of the modern Gregorian Calendar.
The monastery also possesses the Wonderworking Icon of the Theotokos "Of the Three Hands" (Greek: Tricherusa, Serbian: Тројеручице), traditionally associated with a miraculous healing of St. John Damascene around the year 717, St. John became a monk at Mar Sabbas outside of Jerusalem and gave the icon to the monastic community there. Later the icon was given to St. Sabbas of Serbia, who gave it to Hilandar when the Turks invaded Serbia. A copy of the icon was sent to Russia in 1661, from which time it has been highly venerated in the Russian Orthodox Church. This icon has two feast days: June 28 (July 11) and July 12 (July 25).
The library holds 181 Greek and 809 Slavic manuscripts, about 20 000 printed books (3 000 in Greek language).
The monastery contains about 20 working monks.